17 November 2016
On Friday 18 November researchers and health experts from across the Wessex region will be at NIHR Wessex at Ten.
The event at Guildhall Winchester will mark a decade of World-class health research which has been taking place in hospitals, universities and communities across Hampshire, Dorset, Wiltshire and the Isle of Wight.
Keynote speaker at the event will be Professor Chris Whitty, the Chief Scientific Adviser, Department of Health.
Joining him will be the directors of the Wessex research organisations* funded by the National Institute for Health Research. Speakers will also include experts in fields including Genomic medicine, cancer, ageing and psychology. (speakers profile)
The event begins at 09.00 and ends at 16.30, the media are welcome to attend. (event programme)
The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is funded by the Department of Health to improve the health and wealth of the nation through research. The NIHR is the research arm of the NHS. Since its establishment in April 2006, the NIHR has transformed research in the NHS. It has increased the volume of applied health research for the benefit of patients and the public, driven faster translation of basic science discoveries into tangible benefits for patients and the economy, and developed and supported the people who conduct and contribute to applied health research. The NIHR plays a key role in the Government’s strategy for economic growth, attracting investment by the life-sciences industries through its world-class infrastructure for health research. Together, the NIHR people, programmes, centres of excellence and systems represent the most integrated health research system in the world. For further information, visit the NIHR website (www.nihr.ac.uk).
*List of NIHR research organisations in Wessex
• NIHR Clinical Research Network Wessex
• NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (Wessex)
• NIHR Southampton Biomedical Research Centre
• NIHR Evaluation, Trials and Studies Coordinating Centre
• Southampton NIHR Respiratory Biomedical Research Unit
• NIHR Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Facility
• Southampton Health Technology Assessments Centre
• NIHR INVOLVE
• NIHR Dissemination Centre
• NIHR Research Design Service South Central
• NIHR Southampton Clinical Trials Unit
• Wessex NHS Genomics Medicine Centre
• Wessex Academic Health Science Network
We would be pleased to hear from you if you are interested in becoming involved in our research and implementation.How can I get involved?