Who we are?
The NIHR considers Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) to be an important part of the research that that they fund and there is an expectation for researchers to actively involve the public in their research. Patient and Public involvement is encouraged in all of the CLAHRC Wessex projects.
Read our strategy >
Register and get involved
You may be a patient with a health condition, someone who cares for family or a friend with an illness. You may have an interest in health research, or in improving local health care services. We value your opinion towards supporting the health research we deliver. Registration is completely free and without obligation.
Register here >
Find out more - what would you actually do?
We have a fantastic, thriving community of PPI contributors with a shared passion for improving the health care for the people of Wessex. A very diverse group of people that bring a variety of different skills and experience to PPI in our organisation.
Read more >
The role that our PPI contributors play is critical - their involvement helps is to ensure that the research we deliver is meaningful, relevant and well-designed. There are many ways in which you can contribute to health research, for example:
- Working with members of a voluntary group to agree research priorities.
- Acting as a member of the research team, to help collect information to answer a specific research question.
- Working together with members of a local community to agree how and when research findings should be used within a health service.
- Developing information leaflets to encourage patients and carers to participate in research.
- Helping to educate new researchers about how patient and public involvement can help their research.
- Sharing in your knowledge and experience of PPI, to help develop and integrate new PPI contributors to the team.
- Sharing your opinions/views on a range of topics, through our various PPI social media channels.
- test button
Registering is quick and easy. Once registered, we will send you a welcome pack and emails, as and when opportunities to contribute to the health research projects across our 6 themes. Your data is held securely on an internal database and will never be shared with any third party organisations. You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the emails that you receive from us.
Read our newsletter
Our new quarterly newsletters are designed to provide a succinct summary of headline news from the organisation - both within and without PPI.
Download the latest PPI newsletter >
Benefits of participation
Our PPI contributors have complete control over the extent to which they get involved in our work, and are free to accept or decline offers. There are a range of benefits in contributing to the PPI programme:
Read more >
- Joining a warm, welcoming and friendly community of like-minded individuals, keen to make a difference.
- The personal satisfaction that you are making a real, critical contribution to the healthcare research delivery in Wessex.
- Access to relevant training and development opportunities made necessary by the PPI programme.
- Access to PPI-related social media platforms and events.
- Remuneration to PPI contributors of up to £20 per hour* and reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses.
* Activities and associated time constraints to be agreed with Theme Leads prior to claiming.
What is WISeRD?
WISeRD stands for Wessex Involvement in Service Research and Delivery. The members are comprised of CLAHRC Wessex Staff and our PPI Champions.
Read more >
WISeRD advises CLAHRC Wessex on how to involve patients and the public in health research and implementation. Jointly chaired by a nominated, experienced PPI Contributor and the CLAHRC Wessex Director, the WISeRD Group follows a set of self-determined ground rules for participation (the OSCAR values), and compromises:
- A PPI-focussed member of staff from each of the 6 research themes.
- The PPI champion for each research theme.
What does WISeRD do?
The WISeRD Group provides strategic direction and advice to CLAHRC Wessex about PPI.
Read more >
This can include:
Meet the WISeRD/PPI Team >
- Helping to develop a PPI strategy and annual action plans.
- Help with the the recruitment of new PPI contributors / organisations who want to help shape our research and implementation.
- Helping to identify and set research priorities.
- Promoting the work of CLAHRC Wessex and WISeRD.
- Representing CLAHRC Wessex at a range of internal and external events.
- Providing updates on theme-based project work, and contributing to other matters arising at quarterly WISeRD meetings.